Tag Archive: people before profit
Richard Boyd Barrett condemns Sean Barrett for coming out to bat for the privatisation agenda of Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company
Barrett’s comments confirm the biased agenda and Fine Gael intentions in regard to Dun Laoghaire Harbour
Dun Laoghaire Harbour should be developed in the interests of the people and the various harbour user groups
People Before Profit TD for Dun Laoghaire, Richard Boyd Barrett, has lashed out at the “biased” and “disgraceful” statements made by Fine Gael Deputy, Sean Barrett, in the Dail chamber today in which he suggested that the best thing for Dun Laoghaire Harbour would be to retain the Harbour Company quango.
In his contribution today, Deputy Sean Barrett, “came out to bat for the privatisation agenda” according to Ricard Boyd Barrett.
Richard Boyd Barrett is a long-time campaigner, with Save Our Seafront and various other harbour user groups, for the sustainable and appropriate development of the harbour in the interests of the people and the many different groups who use the harbour on a daily and weekly basis.
The Dun Laoghaire People Before Profit TD, has consistently called for the dismantling of the Harbour Company and for the Harbour to be brought under the democratic control of the Council and interest groups.
Deputy Boyd Barrett also rubbished the claim made by the Fine Gael TD that the local authorities have not the skills to run a harbour.
Deputy Boyd Barrett said: “I am disgusted at the biased claims made by Deputy Sean Barrett in which he has essentially called for the privatisation of our harbour. The harbour is a public amenity which is the property of all the people of Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown and indeed the entire city.
“The Harbour Act that was brought in by FG/Labour last year means that a decision on the future governance of the harbour will be made in the very near future. Sean Barrett’s comments can only be welcomed in that they end the fence sitting of our Fine Gael TD’s in Dun Laoghaire. Clearly he supports the retention of the Harbour Company that has wasted thousands of euro in paying top executives 6 figure salaries and expenses that have been questioned on a number of occasions in Dail Eireann and at Dail committees. He seems to want to see floating hotels, supersized cruise ships and private apartments within our harbour.
“Our vision for the harbour is entirely different it is about democratic control, a diaspora centre, a national water sports centre – a harbour for the people not the profiteers and developers.
“Barrett’s plans are entirely in sync with the Fine Gael agenda that wants to put all public services and facilities into private for profit hands. The harbour is a landmark and asset of Dun Laoghaire of huge historical importance. Millions of people emigrated from this country through the harbour, countless families and children have walked the pier and used all the wonderful facilities that the harbour provides. It is for the people of Dublin and indeed the visitors to our city, to whom the harbour belongs, we will continue to oppose this disgraceful push for privatisation.
“The people, residents groups and civil society groups, sailing clubs and many other groups have all come together to oppose the privatisation of the harbour. I as chair of the Save Our Seafront campaign will continue to oppose the neo-liberal push to take the harbour into private ownership in the strongest possible way.”
Fear of people power and protest is what’s pushing government to back-track on waste charges, say PBP.
In a statement, Richard Boyd Barrett of the People Before Profit Alliance has urged the public to join a protest outside the Dail next Tuesday June 21st at 7pm to help secure the passing of a AAA-PBP motion directed at preventing the enormous hike in waste charges planned by private waste companies.
Deputy Boyd Barrett said fear of water charge scale protests was the only reason that Parties such as Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil, who previously supported the privatisation of waste services, we’re now back-tracking and promising action to rein in the waste charges companies.
The AAA-PBP motion will be debated in the Dail on Tuesday between 8pm and 10pm. The vote on the motion will take place next Thursday afternoon
Richard Boyd Barrett said:
” People power and protest is the key to defeating this outrageous attempt by greedy private waste companies to ratchet up household waste charges. It is absolutely obvious that that the government and political establishment, generally, are absolutely terrified by the prospect of water charge style protests on this issue of waste charge hikes. That’s the only reason they are now back-tracking on their own bankrupt waste charge policy.
Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil were the people who privatised waste collection and opened up this essential service to the profiteering of the unscrupulous and greedy private waste companies, that we are now witnessing. The only reason they are now trying to disassociate themselves from the consequences of their own policies, is because they are afraid of another popular street rebellion. We cannot trust the parties who promoted privatisation to deal with the inevitable consequences of privatisation – that’s why it is absolutely vital that we get people out on the streets outside the Dail this week to ensure this motion is passed. Otherwise, the government will simply try and diffuse this issue and allow the waste companies to sneak these hikes in through the back door over the coming years.
So, we are appealing to people who are rightly furious about this unbelievable profiteering and extortion by the waste mafia, to get outside the Dail this Tuesday evening to force the government, Fianna Fáil and others to support this motion.”