View the Policy Document (pdf)
People Before Profit Childcare Policy
- Childcare should be provided as a universal right. It should be funded through a universally applied progressive taxation system.
- In the immediate term, parents should receive a state subsidy for childcare so they only pay a fraction of the cost and fees. As in Denmark parents should pay at most 30% of running costs but services should be free to many low-income families.
- Expand the learner Fund to provide support to allow childcare workers to professionalize to progress to FETAC levels 7 and 8, and increase pay levels for these workers.
- There needs to be an increase in the regulation of all child-minders and after school services
- Paid leave which includes maternity leave, should be structured in such a way that a parent is enabled to remain at home for at least a child’s first year.
- Paid paternity leave should be extended and balanced with maternity leave.