Tonight is the first event of the People Before Profit ‘A Radical Alternative Vision of Ireland’ policy programme. This event is an opportunity for people to contribute their ideas for an alternative Ireland.
The event will take place in the Teachers Club, 36 Parnell Sq. West, Dublin 1. The event will run on Friday 18th, Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th September.
Tonight’s event is the launch of Mike Gonzalez‘s book ‘The Politics of Water’ starting at 8pm. This will provide a great insight to the issue of water across the world and the opposition to privatisation of water which provides a context for the anti-water charges movement in Ireland.
There are a number of plenary sessions throughout the weekend which include speakers like People Before Profit TD Richard Boy Barrett, Independent TD Clare Daly, Anti- Austerity Alliance TD Paul Murphy, People Before Profit councilors Gerry Carroll, Bríd Smith and John Lyons and author Kevin Ovenden.
There are also a number of workshop events throughout the weekend which include topics such as housing, disability, youth forum, TTIP and Tax Havens, Northern Ireland, poverty, low pay, the arts, and racism and immigration in Ireland to name but a few.
Ailbhe Smyth- Chair Repeal the 8th Amendment Campaign, Convener of People Before Profit, feminist and LGBT activist, and former UCD academic.
Fiona NicFhearghais- People Before Profit Belfast representative and SWP organiser for West Belfast
Kieran Allen- Author and lecturer in UCD
Kevin Ovenden- Author of a book on Greece and Syriza, Escaping the Labyrinth.
Goretti Horgan- Lecturer in Social Policy in the University of Ulster, member of the Board of Directors of the Northern Ireland Anti-Poverty Network
12.00-1.30- Plenary: The battle against water charges- where now?
- Cllr John Lyons- People Before Profit Councillor for Beaumont-Donaghmede and general election candidate for Dublin Bay North
- Cllr Bríd Smith- People Before Profit Councillor for Ballyfermot/Drimnagh, general election candidate for Dublin South Central, member of the Right2Water steering group.
3.00-5.00- Plenary: Building a New Left
- Ailbhe Smyth
- Richard Boyd Barrett TD- People Before Profit TD for Dun Laoghaire, part of the Right2Water campaign
- Paul Murphy TD- Anti-Austerity Alliance TD for Dublin South-West, part of Right2Water campaign
- Cllr Gerry Carroll- People Before Profit Councillor for West Belfast
Link to full event programme: